Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Debunking the myth

There are many misconceptions about childfree individuals. I'm not entirely sure where these misconceptions stem from, but I can only assume it's like any other stereotype: judgement based on incomplete information and people filling in their own blanks. It's human nature to form an opinion even before we know the facts because we're inquisitive and can't really wrap our brains around incomplete concepts. As a childfree person, the most common belief I have to denounce is that I hate kids.

I won't lie, some people do hate children, and that's why they don't have any of their own. That's not my case. I LOVE children. I'm an uncle to a beautiful 7 yr old girl and a brilliant mechanically inclined 5 yr old boy. I'm the godfather of 2 boys, the oldest of which is sharp as a tack (the youngest is only 3 months old but he's giving mom and dad a run for their money). I love spending time with all of them. At my oldest godson's 3rd birthday, I wrangled 6 toddlers, probably ranging from 2 to 5 or 6 and took them to the play structure in the park. It was probably the most fun I'd had in a long time. Some of my most cherished photos are of me and my godson playing cars on the city mat I'd given him as a present. I take pride in insisting I always get a "Please" and a "Thank you" from all the children in my life because it reassures me that the small niceties of living in society are not yet lost. I can play with any or all of them for hours and enjoy every minute of it.

I don't change diapers. I don't get up early unless I have to. I watch television shows that are not appropriate for children. I play violent video games. I often eat dinner at 8PM. I go to bed well after midnight. I can have a conversation with my wife by yelling at her from across the house. I can keep breakables on display, even on low shelves. I don't have to babyproof my cabinet doors, electrical outlets, blinds, or any other part of my house. As much as I love children, I also love my lifestyle. I don't want to clean up biological hazards left around the house by tiny versions of me. I don't want the Treehouse channel on 24 hours a day. I don't want to have to plan my life around responsibility to my offspring. Some people tell me I'm wrong, and that if I really didn't hate kids, I'd have some of my own. I don't hate kids. I'm just highly selective about how I love them, and what space they take up in my life.

Many people say that being a parent is the best job in the world (and I have no doubt that to them, it is). I get to do the same job part time, and with none of the paperwork. I kinda like that deal.

3 comments:

  1. Some of my fave pics are the same of yours and the one with him on your shoulder.

    I can vouch for the fact that you don't hate kids. If you did you wouldn't have said yes to being the godfather to my boys and you sure wouldn't have driven 3 hours to all the special occasions when we lived 3 hours away.

    I say you got a good deal. Everyone is entitled to live the life they want to live. But if you ever want to give me a break from treehouse you are more than welcome to take my oldest for the night. You don't have to worry about your breakables as he is raised to respect other peoples stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to have found your blog! My husband and I feel the same. I spend my days working with children and their families and while I see love etc, I also see the cons that people don't always talk about!

    Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touche--I agree completely!! I love kids--have helped friends raise theirs--even let them live with me for periods of time--but I really do enjoy just being with me!

    Michele
    www.mikishope.com

    ReplyDelete