Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Attack on City Hall

This is going to be one of my more editorialized posts. I've discussed it with several friends who are parents, and most people disagree with me. But here is my view just the same.

Canada's capital is a unique area to live in, to say the least. Being such a politically driven city, there's a trickle effect that brings a higher than usual attention to political correctness, minorities, and greasing the squeaky wheels. OC Transpo, the city's public transit branch, is particularly targeted by everyone who wants their fair shake. Videotaped bus drivers, minority groups, labour disputes, etc. They are always dealing with something.

In the last few years, one hot topic has been strollers on buses. The city has tried numerous times to limit or outright ban large (what I call SUV-like) carriages and strollers on buses because they block the aisles, making it difficult for people to get by. At one point, regulations were put in place requiring strollers to be parked in the handicap spot, where the seats flip up and there's more room. That seemed like a good idea in theory, but elderly people on scooters and walkers, disabled people, even blind people with seeing-eye dogs were left to stand or sit elsewhere because a family was taking up the priority seating. But when the city has tried to tighten their restrictions to help the people missing out on priority seating, they had to deal with protesters. Not an angry mob, not a petition and not a series of constituents going to their city councillors. No, the City of Ottawa overturned their ruling because 15 parents stirred on the grounds of City Hall, with their toddlers and strollers.

15 parents. In a city of well over 800,000 people.

Is it far-fetched that a small group of people would make it known to public officials that a newly instated ruling displeases them? No, of course not. We live in a society where people have that right. What irked me is that the city nearly immediately capitulated and reversed their decision because 15 people knocked on City Council's door. This is a sign that parenthood has become trendy, and fashionable. Parents have become the hip social group no one wants to piss off, and people make unreasonable accommodations for them. Lots of people ride the bus. Every one of them has to make concessions for the benefit of other public transit users. Some people have to keep shopping bags in their lap when they'd rather put them on the seat beside them. Others stand when there's no room to sit, or give up their seat when someone needs it more than they do. They sit down wearing backpacks (something that's rather uncomfortable, trust me) so their bag doesn't take up too much space. But parents—these offended parents—insist that they be catered to. They won't fold their strollers or use a smaller one. They won't use a sling or baby carrier, or try to position themselves in a more accommodating manner. Because hey, they have children and they get to take up whatever space they damn well please.

Their attack on City Hall succeeded, but the rebellion is alive and well.

7 comments:

  1. Yes! I have noticed in Ottawa (and a lot of other places, so I don't want to make Ottawa the only evil one - I have chosen to live here my entire adult life!), priority is always given to families with young children. This is just another example.

    I would love to know how many senior people have made complaints, or how many disabled people. I bet if 1000 did, it would not get the attention the parents do.

    Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up some stats on the OC Transpo site but they didn't have much pertinent detail. My guess is this kind of thing isn't measured, but rather handled as it comes up without a set procedure.

      Delete
  2. I could have sworn I left a comment already. Where did it go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got notified of a comment from you until this one :(

      Delete
    2. Bah probably closed window before word verification went through. Too lazy to write out my novel again.

      Delete
  3. I have lived and now live near Winnipeg. When living in, I rode transit everywhere. Now living out of the city, it is fun to take my kids on the bus as they don't get to much - a good learning experience, I figure. But we always try to leave the stroller behind, use a baby carrier, and move as far back as possible (with two kids in tow). It's just common courtesy in my opinion - although I guess it's not as common as I thought. After all we aren't the only ones riding the bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, that is what my novel reply had to do with. Courtesy and common sense are lost these days in our entitled society. This stroller thing wouldn't even be an issue if people didn't feel entitled. I have taken buses with strollers and since I have common sense and courtesy it was never an issue.

      Delete