Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Great Expectations

(Photo Credit: Huffington Post)

I found this story last week, and it got me thinking about a problem that is widespread among almost all walks of life, but for the sake of this blog's context, we'll limit it to parents. It seems that nowadays, everyone expects something (or everything) to be done for them, or they expect their particular situation to warrant some kind of special treatment. Individual sense of entitlement is at an all time high, and parents are no exception. In this case, a single mother doesn't leave a tip on a $138 meal. Pretty reprehensible behaviour, if you ask me.

Now, there are many unknowns here. Was she actually a single mother, or trying to weasel out of paying a few more bucks? Was it horrible service, and the patron was trying to spare the server's feelings? Who knows. There are so many other variables. The server could be a single parent themselves, or trying to get through college, or just another person trying to make ends meet. What makes the single parent's situation more paramount? The common complaint has been "If you can afford to go out for such a luxurious meal, you can afford a tip, parent or not". This complaint has come from parents. I applaud that, favouring fairness over loyalty to one's own kind.

The restaurant incident was isolated and unique, but it got me thinking about social attitude as a whole. There is so much expectation that certain things will happen. Government benefits, for example. Here in Canada, we have multiple monthly benefits offered by the federal government, sometimes in excess of several hundred dollars a month to a single family. Once upon a time, I worked in a government call centre. On the day those cheques and direct deposits came out, we were inevitably flooded with calls asking "where's my payment?". When we tried to explain that the day the cheque was delivered was an approximation, not an absolute, people would flip their lids. they needed that money to feed their children. They expected it. When there were holidays, or if the mail service was delayed for whatever reason, some people demanded that their cheques be delivered by the government department that issued them. If the direct deposit varied from one bank to another, recipients demanded that the government fix it. After all, they expected their payment. This was not a rare occurrence  Thousands of calls came in each and every month to the very same tune. It was seen as a crime for there to be a slight variation with respect to the day they got their free money from the government. These are people who clearly could not afford to raise children without assistance. In my opinion, that's the equivalent of biting off more than you can chew.

I would like to say that the expectation ends there, but it doesn't. I've seen delivery people ring doorbells or buzzers, and have the door open to the bright red face of a fuming parent. "How dare you ring the doorbell, didn't you think that I might have a child sleeping?" they say. "There's a tricycle and chalk drawings in the driveway, and you can clearly see a car seat in my minivan. You KNOW there are children living here. You should know better". Suddenly, it's become the job of all of society to handle nap time, as though disconnecting the doorbell, or even putting a sign up in the front door aren't viable options. No, mama and papa have fulfilled their most basic biological function, and it's the responsibility of the other 7 billion people in the world to work around that.

Specialized parking spots, special treatment on public transit, and so many more little things come into play every single day. But there are more and more CFBC people out there, and more and more businesses are catering to them. I don't know about you, but I expect things to change soon.

5 comments:

  1. OH boy have a got a blog post for you to read that you may enjoy tearing apart. It made me flip my lid and want to smack the chick. Can't find it right now. When I do I will send it to you.

    Anyways I will fully admit I want to slap my delivery guy on a weekly basis. He always arrives as baby falls asleep and not only does he ring the doorbell multiple times but also BANGS on my door multiple times. Yet you are right, not his fault I got kids and not up to him to know their nap schedule. But even when they are awake I want to slap him. No need to make me jump from the sudden amounts of loud noise at my door. Best part, he doesn't even need a signature. He does this then RUNS back to his vehicle. So there is no need for the abuse of my door and door bell anyways. OOPS I Ranted.

    Anyways it isn't just parents though I know that is your focus. Society as a whole is seriously out of control and so many need a reality check. I hate people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, he is doing his job. Our delivery people here are LAZY. They don't even knock on the door, they just leave a "Oh, you weren't home" notice on the door, when I was home and waiting.

      Be glad you have someone who is actually eager to get your stuff to you.

      Delete
  2. Um, would just like to clarify something. There used to be tax deductions for children. Now the federal allows a minimal amount and provincial doesn't. So in most cases, it's not exactly free money, it's it tax credits we didn't get (that your parents got).

    On the parking spot thing... I sure appreciated those when I was 7-9 months pregnant.

    On the single mom thing, that's ridiculous. She is a selfish bitch and should not be eating out.

    Otherwise, I agree. People are way too self entitled. And that has much to do with how they were raised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that's my point. I don't take issue with most of the services or courtesies extended to parents or familes. My problem is with people who insist they're owed all of this, because of the choice they made, or that their family situation entitles them to special treatment

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you say "the choice they made". While I don't begrudge you not wanting kids, someone has to ensure that there will be a next generation. If it weren't for some services or courtesies, as you put it, no one could afford to have kids... And then who would work at McDonalds in 20 years?

    ReplyDelete