Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

They only come out at night

That's a lyric from one of my favorite bands back from my high school days. It has a purpose, though. The simplest and best tip I can give to my fellow childfree peeps out there when they have things to do, especially during this Holiday season. If you have errands to run, go out as late as you can.

There are many places that are frequented by people with and without children alike, and that includes most stores. And so, if you'd rather not have little ones underfoot while you're doing your shopping, go as late as possible. This is especially true of grocery stores. When I have a big grocery trip to do, I go an hour before closing on a weeknight. The parents are at home, getting the kids fed, their homework done, baths taken, and into bed. You won't have to deal with them at the store. On the flip side, parents who go earlier or on the weekend won't have to deal with our ranks zipping between carts or dodging the kids that can be oh so difficult to wrangle in the candy aisle (I know, I used to be such a kid).

Then there's shopping malls. If you're going to the mall on a Saturday afternoon, you can't expect to not have the place teeming with families. It's the most convenient time of the week for them to be there. And in December? You're just asking for it as there's a line to get onto Santa's lap. So spend the sunny, snowy days on the ski hill and let the moms and dads have the malls. Go in the evening. Going to a restaurant for dinner? Try dinner at 7 instead of 5. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it can make. As a bonus, it'll be less busy so you might get faster service, or a better table.

These tips are always valid but at this time of year, it's easy for all of us to get frazzled. So with a minor schedule adjustment, we can make it easier on everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Tip fail. I was at wal-mart at 10pm the other night sans kids and saw people there with kids who clearly should have been in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nolie, those people kill me. What the heck are you doing out so late with a child that age?! Worse part is, they get all annoyed with the kid for being cranky. Hello?! grrr.

    I am so with you on this one Rock. Shopping with kids sucks. Like, really, completely, sucks. I had to do the whole visit to Santa thing, but otherwise, my kids have not been to a store in nearly two months.

    You know the great part about other people's children being whiny or annoying in a store? I can walk away. LOL

    Merry christmas old friend. Mentioning you in an upcoming post about captchas and the dreaded spambots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally sucks. I avoid shopping with my kids at all costs. Either only one of us goes or we get a sitter and make it a date night. Grocery shopping may not seem like a nice night out with your spouse but it sure is when you get to leave the kids home.

    ReplyDelete